Dan Griffin’s contribution to Canada’s indie-rock landscape ranges from his time with The Arkell’s to his current eponymous solo project. The warm and inviting melodies of title track Leave Your Love lay a perfectly comforting backdrop for the reeling intensity of episode 112 of…
7. The Elwins Stuck In The Middle - I remember walking into Soundscapes a while back and hearing this song for the first time and I immediately bought the record. I just love this sound, and how happy it makes me. They’re a lot of fun, plus this song full on reminds me of summer.
6. The Box Tiger Set Fire To Your Friends - I first heard of this band during NXNW of last year. This song is off of their new album (not yet available). Sonia’s voice just does something for me, it’s so different and I love it. They’re also not afraid to move around on stage and get a little heavy with their guitar sounds. It’s still at an early stage, but after they’ve recently talked with Jess Abbott about Cardinal White Records, I believe in a year or so this band will be off doing some pretty sweet things. I really like their sound / style, plus they’re just the sweetest people. Who knows, maybe even a tour with Now, Now ;)
5. Wildlife Born To Ruin - I feel like this band came out of no where for me. I know they released an album previous to On The Heart, but it honestly didn’t do much for me. Then this new record came out and I’m telling you, every single song is dynamite. This record is perfection from beginning to end. They’ve already done some pretty sweet stuff, from playing SXSW this year, to slaying CMW. Their performance blew me away… Maybe it was the drinks, but I highly doubt it. I genuinely love this record and I’m excited for what the band has in-store the next few years.
4. D I A N A Born Again - I saw DIANA for the first time this year during CMW when they opened up for CHVRCHES at the MOD Club. The band came together after each playing in previous bands. Carmen’s (Army Girls) voice is so unique, it’s infectious. You can tell when hearing this band and seeing them live, that they were meant to play in a band together.
3. Lowell Shake Him Off - What’s a list of Toronto artists without including some awesome female fronted bands? Lowell is the type of artist that you would see featured in NYLON magazine’s good listener. She writes catchy tunes, she’s confident in herself and her music, what’s not to like!?
2. Nightbox Burning - A band who’s been playing together for a while but have released a bunch of pretty sweet new material. They just played Canadian Music Week they even supported Ellie Goulding when she was here in November and now they’re off to play this years Osheaga. The catchy lyric, “Use Me Up” is one that gets stuck in your head almost immediately. Not to mention, the guys in the band are ridiculously good looking (not that that matters or anything). ;)
1. GROUNDERS Grand Prize Drawl - this such a good song. I believe this band has been playing together for about 3 years now but I just recently heard this song and got really excited. I think they’re off to do some pretty sweet things. And get a load of this music video! So crazy!
I feel like posting a bunch of Toronto bands I’m really digging right now.
Some have been around for a while, but I just feel like sharing some Canadian talent.
So I think the next bunch of posts will be strictly artists from Toronto. Comin’- atcha.
EDIT: I realize that I mentioned some of the bands have been around for a while, what I should have said as that most of these bands are up-&-coming. “Around for a while” sounds like bands that came from toronto 10 or 15 years ago… These artists I’m posting are pretty recent…